quarta-feira, 1 de maio de 2013

World - Mental Illness POV


Good afternoon!

For this day, I thought about a diferent point of view
And approach on Mental Illness.

It is not easy to have mental illness, nor it is something we choose to have.
Mental Illness, such as chronic illness as well,
Tend to be labeled by people and society
And, still until this very day it is frequent to judge, and talk/write
Unacurate information and statements about these.

It is easy and rather quick to judge when you are not going through the situation.
Everyone's path and life journey is different.
Each human being is diferent.
And that is what trully is wonderful in life, too!

How boring it would be if we thought the same way,
Dressed the same way and all?

We cannot fully know how someone's path is until we walk through their shoes
As in, going through one's similar condition or situation.


We feel diferently, 
We act diferently,
We demonstrate affection, love, kindness, in our own special way.
We suffer diferently and we react diferently through pain.

It is not easy to have mental illness, nor it is something we choose to have.
Sometimes, it just happens or it is triggered by events or people around us.
Often it is not "socially acceptable" to be sick.
As it is not "socially acceptable" anything that is either different or unknown.

People either despise, ignore or fear the unknown.
So I leave another question :
What if that unknown become known and even, familiar?
Would it have an impact or would you act the same way?

I had the first symptoms of my condition in 2007
But I was only diagnosed with depression three years later.
I researched, read because I wanted to know what was happening to me.

To seek knowledge is optional.
To seek help, is needed
Because your Health, your life is precious
And so are the ones around you.

Note: There were triggering events, yes, that I wrote about in the blog
Since 2010.

Nowadays I am not ashamed to say that I had depression
And/or that I have anxiety problems.
No one has to feel shame.
No diagnosis defines people.

People cannot allow a condition or illness to put a limit to their dreams.
Instead, that must be a reason to push forward
And redefine his/her own goals.

I am not depression.
It was a condition, that, as many others can and must be controlled.
It has not have a physical spot where it hurts,
But it is real pain...ache that has a reason.
That reason can be figured out imediately or it can take time.

Again, it takes time, yet I learned that
Instead of feeling sorry for what I went through
Instead of whining about what I do not have
Instead of feeling pity of my old self

I decided to spend that energy
On the Present. Because Present is a gift.
And thanking for what I have.
And dedicating to my former self.

-- Carpe Diem,
Seize the day. 

It is valuable to find proper help and support.
Professional help is advised.
And follow your doctor's instructions.

Our life is a blessing,
We are lucky to wake up each day.

Some, are not as lucky
And if we are alive,
Let's live with quality and truly live
Not survive!

God bless you all!

2 comentários:

  1. I love hoe you say you're not defined by mental illness...I think that's what some outsiders make the mistake of doing don't they?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Your words exactly , my friend
      Indeed it is a mistake, instead of living with it knowing it is an illness
      That can be treated. Some see it as a personal flaw or label, but it isn't.
      We aim to bring awareness to this.

      Thank you so much for your comment.

      Blessings*

      Eliminar

Life Blog supports... Causes and People !